Saturday, December 28, 2013

Greeting This Season

Every year at this time, I think of my family - my parents who are now gone, but with me every second beginning Christmas Eve. I relive making Christmas Eve dinner with my Mom when I was in my 20's and at the top of the world. I am 10 years old and am joining my dad, arriving at midnight mass early so he can prepare to usher - maybe shovel some snow, turn up the heat, and make sure all the candles are ready to pass out to each parishioner. I am with my brother Ralph - teaching us to sing Adeste Fidelis and trying to get us to pronounce "adoremus" correctly ("It's moose! Just say moose!”). 
My sister Dianne is checking out the gifts that Kathy Reinwald received, as our neighbors opened gifts Christmas Eve and we waited until Christmas morning (and we could never figure out how Santa made it to the Reinwald’s next door, but not our house until much later). David is playing the organ at 7:00 mass– Handel, of course. The attendees are mesmerized. My dad is taking down the sheet in the doorway that blocked the view of the Christmas tree until AFTER mass on Christmas morning. Uncle Wayne, Aunt Linn, Uncle Hank and Aunt Joanne are arriving for our traditional Christmas brunch with Norwegian delights, ham and eggs. I am at Uncle Tom and Aunt Helen’s watching “Amahl and the Night Visitors” in the upstairs den with my many cousins. I am in grade school learning from the nuns what Christmas is all about, and making hand-made Christmas gifts for my parents. I am with brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, son, daughter-in- law and nieces and nephews. So many friends – new and old. So many memories. 

No comments: