Sunday, December 2, 2012

Life, Death, Friends and Dogs

When I was about six years old, on a nice summer day, I walked to my best friend Patty's house for my daily playtime. When I arrived, Patty and her cousin who lived on that same block, were sitting on Patty's front stoop. I said "Hi" to my pal, as usual. Her cousin started laughing at me. Patty followed suit. I never knew why this happened. I had done nothing. My outfit looked okay. I wouldn't be chubby until the following year, so it wasn't my looks (I was actually a knockout looking kid). There was nothing that could have caused this laughter.

That was the last day I played with Patty. I walked away from her house and went back home, tail between my legs. I was so sad because she was my best and only friend. I didn't know who I would possibly be friends with after that.

I soon learned that this was but my first experience with friends coming and going in life. I have spent the rest of my life saying hello and goodbye to many fine - and some not-so-fine - people. I will admit that it is much easier being friends with people as an adult. If my friends laugh at me, I usually know why and quite often will laugh along with them. It is easier to bounce back when a rift temporarily divides us.

This year was a year that called for all friends, front and center. Our dogs, Casey and Jake both died. Casey was a bit expected - we knew there was something wrong with him. He was going on 10 years old. He had a full life. Jake was a shocker. He was only eight and had to be put down because of severe slipped discs on his spine. He was running around and was very happy and one morning, he just wouldn't jump off the bed. He didn't cry or whimper. He just looked at me with an "Either you're going to pick me up or I'm staying in this bed the rest of my life" look. Within a couple of weeks we knew there was nothing more we could do for him.

Besides each other and our families, it was our friends who got us through the loss of Jake and Casey. Liz and Carol brought sympathy cards, photos and my other friend, Johnnie Walker to help get through our losses. They made sure we were okay, gave us our "space," but we knew they would be here in a second should we need them. So many people don't have the opportunity to have one friend. How blessed I am to have two wonderful treasures in my life!

I don't know if little Patty ever really knew what hit me that day so long ago. It is funny how life kind of winds in and around itself. Friends seem to be on the exterior of our lives, but they are really in integral part of our happiness, sadness and growth. I am happy the path I chose brought me to where I am now. Here's to us!


2 comments:

Dianne Neiweem Fox said...

How come I didn't see this until today? (July 1) And yet, how appropriate that this is the day I see it, the day you are leaving Iowa. You are indeed blessed to have these two wonderful ladies in your life, and I am quite convinced that they will continue to be with you, every step of the way, as you journey into your new life. Clearly not as readily and easily as they have been, but true friends break the barriers of distance in ways we didn't even know existed. xoxoxo

Dianne Neiweem Fox said...

How come I didn't see this until today? (July 1) And yet, how appropriate that this is the day I see it, the day you are leaving Iowa. You are indeed blessed to have these two wonderful ladies in your life, and I am quite convinced that they will continue to be with you, every step of the way, as you journey into your new life. Clearly not as readily and easily as they have been, but true friends break the barriers of distance in ways we didn't even know existed. xoxoxo